Click the "Sonshine Classical Academy" button below to view our homeschool blog.

What's New On Our Homeschool Blog

EVAN MAKING OWEN LAUGH...FUNNY!

Monday, October 5, 2009

Pink Eye & Cellulitis

This past weekend was a little rough...at least Friday and part of Saturday. Last Monday, Evan came down with pink eye (well actually the Friday before that but he wasn't diagnosed until Monday). His eye wasn't pink at all but it was really goopy. Of course he came down with it on the weekend so when I called his doc on Mon, they told me to bring him in right away so we could get him on antibiotics. His doc explained that sometimes (but hardly ever) there is a complication that comes with pink eye called cellulitis. She told me to watch out for the skin around the eye to get red and spread in one particular direction. She was only concerned with the right eye and told me to just medicate that eye unless he showed signs that it spread to the other eye. I followed her instructions and his eye was back to normal within a day and a half. Then on Thursday, I noticed that his other eyelid was droopy and figured that it had spread to that eye. I started medicating that eye that night (let me tell you, putting drops in a two-year-old's eye is not fun recreation). Friday morning, Evan woke up looking like he got clocked in the eye by Mike Tyson (picture below). I called the doctor's office that morning (thinking that it was probably typical with pink eye but I just wanted to be on the safe side). I'm soooooo glad that I did because the nurse said it's not at all typical and that we should get him in there that day! I still thought that the doc was gonna say that the nurse didn't know what she was talking about and send us on our way...I WAS WRONG! He had cellulitis, which in the eye, is really bad cuz there's no where for the pressure to go and he could end up losing his eye. She wanted us to go downstairs to the lab and get his blood drawn and come back up to get a high-dose shot of antibiotics to start (did I mention that this shot is supposedly REALLY PAINFUL, even for adults) and he had TWO (one in each thigh at the same time). Poor little guy. We then had to wait in the office to make sure he wouldn't have some allergic reaction to the meds. It was sooooo scary because, depending on how bad the bloodwork showed the infection to be, he might end up in the hospital for a couple of days being fed antibiotics through an IV. That image was hard for me to accept, but losing his eye was even worse. Thank GOD he showed significant improvement in the 24 hours following his first dose. His doc said that he may need to come in to get one more dose by shots, but then decided that (due to his fast improvement) we would try to nail this with strong oral antibiotics. So far, so good! His eyes look normal now, but what an ordeal! I hate it when he's sick! Anyway, sorry it took so long to explain, but I'm so thankful that it wasn't worse than it was.




1 comment:

  1. That is heartbreaking! I found your blog from the Nagels. I know them from church. Nice to meet you. You look familiar too. Sorry about your little guys. It's so SCARRY!
    Jessie at Blog Schmog

    ReplyDelete

Music Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones